Things I am weirdly thankful for
Being the only girl on my weekend shift at work. Wearing jeans and loafers is acceptable, eating at my desk is encouraged and I’m learning a lot about football.
Having friends who are not afraid to tell me I’m being a pussy. They encourage me beyond belief to do things I never imagined I would be able to do. For that, I am eternally thankful.
Goodbye to NYC
Leaving New York always breaks my heart a little. But this time was much, much worse.
Feeling incredibly thankful that I was raised to be cautious, not terrified.
I’m careful. I’m safe. I don’t do stupid things. But I’m not scared of the world. You can’t go and around being scared that you’re going to get mugged on every corner. You have to have more faith in humanity than that.
So I’ll see you guys later, I’m going to walk around the city alone.
It’s literally the silliest thing in the world, but it physically hurts to want something so badly that you know is 100% not gonna happen.
- For friends who see me day in and day out and put up with my shit.
- For friends who I never talk to but can pick up the phone and have a two hour conversation like nothing’s ever happened
Of all the places I could be at this moment, work is not exactly my first choice.
#is that so much to ask
Literally all I want is someone who will text me back most of the time and not judge me in my needy and girly moments.
Sometimes I’m really hard on myself so here are some reminders for those times:
- 4 days a week, I make the news happen at the #1 station in Knoxville. Without me, there is not video on the news. Sometimes, I screw up, but that’s nothing compared to how often I get it right.
- I write a bi-monthly newsletter that goes out to 20,000+ undergrads, plus faculty, staff and graduate students
- I am guiding a documentary to completion right now. I’m going to get producer credit on a 45 minute DOCUMENTARY.
- My apartment is more or less clean. Rent for October is paid. We have toilet paper.
- I use hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment every day, and I haven’t broken a single thing yet.
- I’m the reason that our campus news station even gets shows on the air 75% of the time.
- I have okay grades. In fact, pretty damn good grades.
- I literally got paid to go to UT this semester.
- I can make it up the 16th street hill. How? Not entirely sure.
I might sound a little braggy right now, but this is more for me than the internet. I’m a badass sometimes. Sure, there are moments when I fuck stuff up, when I put off studying until the last minute, when I screw up a headline in the 11 show… But I’m doing fine. Nothing is falling apart.
"No matter how long you have traveled in the wrong direction, you can always turn around."
"We look up at the same stars, and see such different things."
"At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can."